Saturday, June 2, 2007

Some of my work

I promised pictures - and until a couple days ago have not delivered. As you can see from my last post, I finally figured out how to get them here. Just haven't quite figured out how to wrap the type properly so there aren't those large gaps between text and images. I'm getting better, though.

Every knitter needs something to keep their tools in one place - I've used pitchers, quart jars, vases, a tall basket, jammed them into balls of yarn - you name it, we've all done it. I found some old sweaters at the Goodwill Store and just had to have them. What you see here is what happens when clay meets fabric......

To the left are some of my Knitting Needle Jars - they're handbuilt from earthenware clay slabs wrapped around a tube form to create a cylinder. The texture comes from old sweaters, worn out kitchen towels or any other type of fabric that just looks interesting. Vintage buttons are added, and Voila!!! Inside is a knitted and felted cushion to protect them from damage when the needles are just dropped (thrown) into the jar. I've done it myself in a fit of temper when having to frog back a piece. What's frogging? That's when, for some reason, you have to 'rip it, rip it, rip it'.




Let's see if I can get some more pictures here where you can see them better - I know they're not exactly gallery shots, but at least they're pictures. They'll get better.



An old, quilted placemat was used for this piece.




And, this was a beat-up, not-bad-enough-to-throw-away-but-not-good-enough-to-keep sweater I found at the Goodwill Store. It had a nice tight texture.




Remember those crocheted, rattan hot pads and placemats? They offer a nice, well-defined pattern that works well with the glaze.

And the larger jar using an old, woven kitchen towel.










By golly, I think I'm getting the hang of this blogging stuff!

I have more photos that I'd like to show you, but I think I'm going to quit for today (read - while I'm ahead). I'll see if I can get some raku pictures up tomorrow - or maybe my progress with the felt-work. Who knows? Tomorrow isn't here yet, so we'll figure it out when it is!!!!

Later!!

No comments: