Sunday, June 2, 2013

Will Winter NEVER Leave?


The weather is so very strange these days - AC to cool one day, back to the furnace the next - June 2, and I'm wearing a sweatshirt. Wouldn't it be nice if whoever got Mother Nature so angry would apologize???

But, be that as it may, yesterday, I did enjoy my weekly trip to the Saturday morning Farmers' Markets in our fair town - fresh eggs, bread, homemade noodles, asparagus and handmade soap. My favorite cheese maker has decided not to come back this year, but it's simply because it was getting too much for them. At least I know which stores carry those luscious cheeses of theirs!

Lime Rock Brown Swiss Cheese is one of the creamiest, tastiest cheese I've ever had, and they do have an online store - www.limerockbrownswiss.com - our favorite is the Brick. Absolutely wonderful with some crusty bread, a few slices of sausage, and a bit of fresh fruit alongside. The perfect meal!

I've been a bit slow about getting back to the studio - instead, concentrating on some handwork. I've listed a few of my simple knitting patterns on www.Craftsy.com - the ones I mentioned in my last post. I have a few more in the works, plus a sewing table full of buckwheat hull neck pillows, sachets and project bags to be finished up, and fibers to spin and finish. Those should be ready to show off in a few more days - well, maybe a week or so.

I think, though, that it's time I got back to clay. I have a couple ideas for some cheese molds due to a recent discovery of a simple cheese-making process that I'd love to try - www.eatingrules.com/2011/10/make-a-simple-cheese - incorporate some fresh chives from my garden, or fresh, coursely ground pepper, leave it plain and top it with some newly-made strawberry-rhubarb preserves..... I think I might use lemon juice - or, maybe cider vinegar - but, I will leave out the salt. I don't need it hardened, and that's pretty much what the salt does, as far as I can figure.



Doesn't this look good?

And, why am I contemplating making my own cheese, you ask? Well, because I can! But, mainly because of some information I found when doing family research and translating documents from Norwegian to English. Apparently, one of my great-great (not sure how many greats) Norwegian grandmothers was highly regarded for her cheese-making skills! I don't fashion myself an expert, but I'm just curious enough that it looks like fun! And, because I want/need to know what's in the food we consume - it's as simple as that. Having to be careful of a loved one's diet (and, my own) means that we explore every avenue to keep that person healthy.

So, now that I seem to have a little more enthusiasm for getting back to work - a bit more ambition that's been seriously lacking of late - it's off to the studio to see what I can accomplish in the way of good pots!



No comments: